BasementGamers Warhammer 40k Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Resin Model EXP

2 posters

Go down

The Resin Model EXP Empty The Resin Model EXP

Post  MAGiM Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:16 pm

So I bought my first resin model. I was pretty excited buying this resin model because of all the hype that my gaming group has caused. It would be the first resin model in my gaming group, and the model I bought would be the first non-proxy HQ for my growing Blood Angel army. Sure the model was a little more expensive than the metal one, but it will be worth it. So I thought.

This post is to describe my experience with building a single model for my Blood Angel army. Hopefully, for those who read this will learn from my mistakes or at best, have a good laugh.

Commander Dante, that was the model i had purchased. It was a reasonable price and i figured it would be easier to put together compared to the metal models. I had put together an Ork Big Mek with Shokk Attack Gun and I am still surprised that it is still together. The SAG is heavier than the Ork and it has to rest on the Ork's shoulder. I thought for sure that it would keep falling off. Even with 3 pins, green stuff and super glue. I think over all the paint is keeping it together.

I prep my area for gluing the model and i was surprised on how light the model was. I mean really light, more so than plastic models. So now I am curious. How flexible is it? Yah, stupid question. Because when I "flexed" the axe for the test, I was holding an additional peice. Yup, the axe broke off. I wasn't too upset about it. I had plastic glue available. I will just glue it back on. I have moded models before and this couldn't be much different. (For those who have glued resin models before knows that plastic glue is not the way to do it.) So about half an hour into it and several choice words later, I realized that plastic glue will not work. Ok so now i am frustrated at this point. However I knew that there is a way to glue it. People have been doing for ages now, so will I.

I moved on to the arm with a bolt pistol. At least I think it is. I pull out my super glue. Hobby shop super glue will do the trick. It has to, why else would they sell it. Right? I attempt to put a smidge of glue on and nothing. Nothing comes out from the bottle. I check the bottle and the nozzle is plugged. No problem. 1 paper clip coming right. Now I attempt to add a smidge and I get a glob. COME ON! Now this will dry forever! I will have to hold on to this arm for hours before it starts to hold. I wipe off what I can and begin to set the arm in. Of course it doesn't fit. I am done by now so i just hold it place anyway. I will green stuff it later. 15 min later I am still holding it. I have solutions for this though. I have clamps small enough for things like this. Clamps with teeth. That will fix it. Now that the arm is clamped, I still need to fix the arm with the axe. Answer, super glue with clamp and set it aside to dry.

After a few moments later from building my Drop pod, I had to see how Commander Dante is doing. I remove the clamps and both arms with axe are holding fine. Progress at last. I took a look at the model as a whole. I look for flash, mold lines, and whatever the else that may make the model look...bad. I did not think there would be much since the type of molds were different from plastic and metal. Once again I have proven myself wrong. There is a ton of mold lines and ALL the other "bad" stuff you do not want on a model. I hate doing this part. removing the bad stuff never really works for me. I guess I never practiced enough to get it right or I rush to fast just to get the model put together so I can begin painting. To my surprise though it was rather easy to do. Resin models are great when it comes to shaving off the mold lines and "bad stuff". There weren't much splay to speak of. So overall I am pleased with this part. All I had to do now was glue the jump pack on and off to priming.

The next day i decided to do some searching on how to glue Resin models. For the most part super glue is the best but they were talking about some special kind. The glue had numbers or letters or something to that effect. WTF! Well as far as I know superglue works and that is what is I did. However I had noticed a pet peeve of mine. Someone had asked the same question I was searching for on a forum. (Not this one.) And someone replied with only part of the answer. (God! I hate that!) But that is not what got my attention, it was the fact that shavings from resin models can be toxic. TOXIC! So you should wear a dust mask the forum said. Great! I have shavings all over me. Not that I am afraid of dying or feel that I will keel over in the week, but this would have been good to know when i going to town on a model that could kill me after I break off an arm. No saving throw for me and no invulnerable save. Pure instant kill! It really isn't that bad and I did not do any research on this to confirm what one posting had said. You would think there would be a warning on the package if there was any danger involved. Perhaps I will add to this posting once i find something out.

The synapse of putting together a resin model is this. Read the stupid instruction. Or do some research or ask questions. No harm has come to any one that read, with understanding, any instructions. Unless it was how to commit suicide. Pace yourself and do it right. There is no reason you should take your time on any project unless you’re on a time limit to win a cash filled car on a Japanese game show. learn from my mistakes or stupidity.
MAGiM
MAGiM
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Resin Model EXP Empty HAHA

Post  Zarel Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:42 pm

You should read the instructions first next time!!! lol! J/P
Zarel
Zarel
Admin
Admin

http://basementgamers.freezoka.net

Back to top Go down

The Resin Model EXP Empty Re: The Resin Model EXP

Post  MAGiM Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:52 pm

It has been a few days now. I have moved onto painting some Tau and i am ready to paint my resin model. My Commander Dante has been primed black and has been waiting for paint. I have finished up a few minor projects and sweeped it all aside for the miracle paint job i was about to apply. But when i picked up the model i noticed that the commander was missing his axe. I have found the axe laying on the table but the glue did not work in this case. Now this going to be much more work than it was worth. Your first model is not supposed to be this difficult. Yes i know i should not have tested the flex tolerance of a resin model. I just could not resist. So now i pulled out my green stuff and applied it to the model. I am waiting a day for it to dry before i prime it again.

I am hoping that i will get this model done before this coming weekend. However once i am complete with this model i will post a pic.
MAGiM
MAGiM
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Resin Model EXP Empty Re: The Resin Model EXP

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum